Thursday, August 11, 2005

Life is Good: Living in a Can Now

Finally! I've moved into a can, which means that I share a bathroom with only one shipmate, instead of 200 marines.

My own Canery Row, but this ain't Monterrey!


For security purposes I can't say which door is mine :)


My British flight crew working hard as we fly over Iraq to Kuwait. The Brits and Poles have a nice touch of Yellow in their DCU's. Pakistani DCU's are, I kid you not, lime green.


The British C-130 Stretch (longer than the USAF version)


US Army Camp Arifjan.


I stayed here, in Zone 6, which of course means absolutely nothing to you.


Flags over Camp Arifjan, flying over a little Americana in Kuwait.


Picture inside one of the massive warehouses storing the warfighter's supplies.


That's Maj Spiro, an OIC of a logistics detachment, part of the Marines I'm embedded with at Camp TQ. Notice the flash on the Major's shoulder. The Marines outfit their troops with indicators visible to night-vision goggles that identify friendly troops.


Not an abberation: Most workers in the Middle East are Indians or from Southwest Asia.


Guess which country? Anyone who has been to Kuwait recognizes the continuous maze of power lines that criss-cross the country. One day in Iraq?


Sunset as we head to Ali al Salem Air Base, Kuwait City.


On a Kuwaiti "Interstate" highway.


This is a road in Camp Habbaniyh, once a magnificent British base in Iraq.


This area used to be lush, being next to the Euphrates. From what I understand, the spillway was closed to "dry up" the area for military reasons.


That plane (Russian I believe) is a relic of the old Iraqi Air Force.